Art and Design
At Bollin, we aim to engage, inspire and challenge pupils. We recognise the importance of equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As our pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. Our children should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
We aim for our children to:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about and recognise great artists, craft makers and designers and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
The key concepts we teach:
- Line: all lines are characterised by their width
- Shape (2D): an enclosed area in 2 dimensions
- Form (3D): a composition or an object
- Space: distance or the areas within, around or between, including depth.
- Value (Tone) & Contrast: light and dark and their relationships
- Colour: primary, secondary and tertiary, saturation and temperature
- Texture: actual and implied texture
The skills we develop:
- Exploring and developing ideas
- Evaluating and improving
- Textiles / Collage
- 3D Form
The knowledge we teach:
In EYFS children begin to:
- Explore and experiment with colour and texture to construct and create.
- Understand and select tools and resources to represent objects and experiences.
- Find out how to use tools and techniques safely.
- Learn about the work of appropriate artists linked to topics and child led interests
In Key Stage 1 children are taught about:
- Using a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- Using drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
- Developing a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
- Learning about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
In Key Stage 2 children are taught about:
- Using a sketch book effectively and record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas.
- Improving their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- Learning about great artists, architects and designers in history.
|Thumbnail||Title||File Size||File Type||Download|
|Bollin Art Curriculum Overview.pdf||559.50 KB|